Wednesday 26 February 2014

The Alphabet Weekends - D

It's Alphabet Weekend time here again on the blog (my challenge to organise 26 family activities in the 52 weeks of 2014, each activity starting with a consecutive letter of the alphabet) and this fortnight it's brought to you by the letter:


I had a bit of difficulty deciding what we would do for 'D'. A friend suggested Drunkenness and Debauchery, but that's not quite what I had in mind. Dribbling, Drifting, Dawdling, Demoralizing, Dissociating, Dissolving, Dissecting and Disappearing would all have been more or less viable options, but I'm not sure they would have been much fun. Dog walking would have been do-able, but there was the small problem of not having a dog.

In the end, we decided to take up the suggestion given to me by Rita from The Crafty Expat, and go with drawing.

This was actually quite challenging, since no-one in our family actually draws on a regular basis if we can avoid it. To give the activity some structure, we invented two drawing games.

Game number one: the players had to select one card from each of these two piles (which were facing down during the game) and make sure no-one saw their cards.


Then each player had to draw something that began with the letter they had chosen that also fitted into their selected category and the other players had to guess what the drawing was.

We played this on the blackboard at my parents' house, where we were visiting, and were lucky to have the kid's grandparents and my niece participate as well.


It was loads of fun, the highlight definitely being laughing at my dad's drawings. I actually think this is the first time I've ever seen him draw!

Game number two: we put the names of several animals into two separate piles. One pile was called 'heads' and the other 'bodies'. Then we each selected a card from both piles (without showing our cards to anyone else) and had to draw a creature with the body of the animal we selected from the first pile and the head of the one we selected from the second.


Then we had fun trying to guess what each other had drawn and coming up with names for our creatures, like 'Snog' (half snake, half dog ); 'Lorse' (half lion, half horse) and 'Micken' (half mouse, half chicken). It reminded me of the time we made up a song about ligers and tigons and zonkeys and zorses.

This fortnight's Alphabet Weekend cost us no money at all and helped us realise that drawing can be really enjoyable even when you have no talent for it whatsoever!

I also had a warm and fuzzy mummy moment at the end of the afternoon. I went back into the garage later to look for something and found a little picture had been left for me on the blackboard ...



My Little Drummer BoysTwinkle In The Eye


Do you know any other drawing games?

Can you guess what our drawings are supposed to be??

And do you have any suggestion for what we can do next fortnight for the letter E? So far, all I've come up with is Eating and Eavesdropping!

No comments:

Post a Comment